Info Events
  • The info session on studying abroad (summer semester 2025) will take place on

Wednesday, 22.05.2024 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.

What: General information about studying & internships abroad

Where: Hybrid

HFT Raum 1/303 and

per Zoom

Meeting-ID: 687 3309 0249

Kenncode: Outgoing25

No registration is required


Sechs Personen springen draußen in die Luft
Broadening horizon(s)

Routes Abroad

At partner university

  • Possible for 1-2 semesters
  • Simplified application process
  • Easier recognition of examination results

As a freemover


Internship abroad

  • Compulsory or voluntary internship
  • Financial support possible (Erasmus+ also after graduation)
  • Further information from the DAAD on internships abroad >>
  • Possible organizations: IAESTE and AIESEC

Summer schools

  • Are usually subject to a fee
  • Direct application to the summer school
  • A selection of summer schools >>

Language courses abroad

  • Four-week language courses and cultural programs
  • Take place during the semester break
  • Recognition of credit points possible
  • Current: Learn Spanish in Malaga 2023 Experience report 2022 >>

Examples of summer schools

Aarhus University, Summer School 2023

University of Leeds International Summer School 2023

Chinese University of Hong Kong, International Summer School 2023:

German-Jordanian University, Arabic Summer Course,

University of Gothenburg, Summer School for Sustainability 2023

Jönköping University Summer School 2023 "Purchasing Logistics with a Global Perspective"

INHA University 2023

Applying for a semester abroad


At partner university

  • Prepare application documents
  • Online application via MOBILITY-ONLINE >>
  • Follow further instructions from the host university
  • Communicate course choice by e-mail



As a freemover

In one or two pages, introduce yourself and your professional motivation for studying as a guest student at the respective institution. You might also want to explain your career goals to give the host university a fuller picture of yourself. You should not only explain your academic history, but also any special skills or experiences that have shaped you.

The CV (Curriculum Vitae=CV) should be written in tabular form and in reverse chronological order. Study requirements vary and are dependent on the target country. In the USA, for example, you should always submit your CV without a date of birth, religious affiliation or photo. In addition, certificates, other than an academic transcript, are generally not required.

You can download your Academic Transcript / Transcript of Academic Records with an explanation key (grading scale) from LSF in English and attach it to your application.

Only when expressly requested: Proof of proficiency no older than two years in the language of instruction. The host university will always state which certificate they accept. Some host institutions also accept the DAAD language certificate, which will save you the high costs of a test such as the TOEFL. DAAD language certificates can be obtained free of charge from

General options for language certificates:

Proof of funds - Some countries, such as the USA, South Korea and Japan, also require proof of funds (bank statement) for the visa; BAföG recipients in particular must plan ahead.

In English-speaking countries, a letter of recommendation is often required.

Only very rarely are certified translations required; these would have to be produced by a sworn translation agency. In most cases, English printouts of the academic transcript generated online are sufficient! It can be stamped at the Registrar's Office on presentation of the originals.

If you are interested in a semester abroad in Australia or New Zealand at a university which is not a partner of HFT Stuttgart, you can contact GOstralia!-GOmerica! and IEC for Canada and the USA.


Application deadline for the upcoming winter semester


Application deadline for the upcoming summer semester

Preparing for a stay abroad



  • Urgent review of health, liability and accident insurance!

Possible providers

  • The DAAD offers health, accident and liability insurance:
  • ADAC offers long-term foreign health insurance (covers cases of illness starting from €100)

Check course recognition

Before the start

  • Compile a list of courses you plan to do abroad.
  • Talk to the responsible international representative of the study programme at the HFT Stuttgart


After completion

  • Submit a form and academic transcript to have the course recognized.
  • If necessary, results will be converted according to modified Bavarian formula (see resolution of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs, 2013).

More to-do's

Customs, Security, News

Find out more about:

  • The current political situation
  • General security conditions
  • Legal regulations
  • General customs


Sources of information and assistance


  • No work permit required
  • Application for a residence permit after 3 months of residence at the latest
  • Visa: Registration with local authorities, proof of enrolment at host university and health insurance


Outside the EU

  • Student visa or work visa required for internships
  • Bank statement sometimes required
  • Early contact with country representatives strongly recommended


  • The only international student card recognized worldwide
  • Discounts on flights, transportation, leisure activities, etc.
  • Valid in over 130 countries
  • 150,000 great offers



All students going on a semester abroad must register by the deadline.


Erasmus+ semester abroad

What is supported?

ERASMUS has been promoting cross-border mobility of students and university staff in Europe since 1987. The 27 EU countries, the UK, Iceland, Liechtenstein, North Macedonia, Norway, Serbia and Turkey participate in ERASMUS+.

How is funding provided?

  • Financial support
  • Exemption from tuition fees abroad
  • Recognition of academic achievements abroad
  • Support with preparation
  • Enrollment at the HFT Stuttgart
  • Completion of the first year of study
  • Study visit to a partner university which HFT Stuttgart has concluded an Erasmus agreement with
  • and/or an internship in another European country
  • Between 490 - 600 euros per month depending on the country
  • Funding period: max. 12 months
  • Special grants possible e.g. for children, chronic illness, previous employment, social situation and environmentally friendly travel (ask!)
  • Application form "Study abroad"
  • Academic transcript
  • Curriculum vitae (German)
  • Letter of motivation (German)
  • Architecture students: Design portfolio and expert opinion

Further information on Erasmus+ is available in the Erasmus+ app or from the DAAD.

Switzerland has set up the SEMP program, which is very similar to Erasmus+. Information on this is provided by the Swiss universities and

What do students in the Erasmus+ Programme have to do?

Language test

The EU provides online language tests for many of the European languages. They take place before and after the stay abroad in order to record the progress of Erasmus+ participants. These language tests are not mandatory and are not a selection criterion for Erasmus+ funding.

Erasmus+ Online Learning Agreement (OLA)

Before the Erasmus+ mobility begins, a learning agreement - the Online Learning Agreement (OLA) - is concluded between the student, HFT Stuttgart and the host university. It maps the recognition process from the preliminary course selection to the final recognition. The OLA is created by the Erasmus+ student during the application process at the host university via Mobility Online.

Erasmus+ experience report

The Erasmus+ stay is documented at the end of the stay via an online questionnaire (EU Survey). A freely formulated report must also be uploaded to Mobility Online. We reserve the right to reclaim Erasmus+ funds already paid out if the questionnaire or experience report is not submitted.

Erasmus+ framework conditions

Students entitled to BAföG can also claim BaföG for their stay abroad with Erasmus+. Erasmus+ grants up to a maximum of €300 per month stay free of charge. If necessary, the responsible BaföG office can provide information on whether and to what extent the BAföG might be reduced. Students who have not previously received BAföG may also be able to receive BaföG for their semester abroad.

Scholarships awarded on the basis of performance criteria cannot be combined with the Erasmus+ grant. Scholarships awarded on the basis of social criteria can be combined with the minimum amount of the Erasmus+ grant (€300).

The EU recommendation for an Erasmus+ semester abroud is 30 credit points (ECTS). At present, ECTS achieved abroad are not linked to the Erasmus+ grant, i.e. even if fewer ECTS are achieved than agreed, no money has to be paid back. BEFORE the start of the stay abroad, it must be clarified with the study abroad officer of the degree programme which study abroad credits can be recognized. The courses planned in the host country and the courses to be recognized at the HFT if passed are entered in the Erasmus Online Learning Agreement (OLA). For compulsory internship semesters completed in a company abroad, 30 ECTS are recognized.

An Erasmus+ mobility grant does not include insurance cover. Students must ensure that they have sufficient insurance cover themselves. Erasmus students have the option of being included in the DAAD group insurance scheme.

This project has been funded with support from the European Commission. This publication reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.

Further information and advice on Erasmus+ mobility measures can be obtained from the

German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
National Agency for EU Higher Education Cooperation 
Kennedyallee 50 53115 Bonn

Erasmus+ internship

How is funding provided?

Erasmus+ internships are funded and managed centrally by the Baden-Württemberg consortium KOOR-Erasmus Services at HKA Karlsruhe.

What is the procedure?

Applications for Erasmus+ funding are submitted online to KOOR. Important: Applications must be FULLY signed and received by KOOR at least four weeks before the start of the internship.

  • Support for compulsory and voluntary internships
  • In companies and institutions such as research centers, research laboratories, non-profit institutions and non-governmental organizations
  • After completion of the 1st year of study
  • Duration: min. 2 to max. 12 months
  • Internship must be completed within one year of graduation.
  • Duration: max. 12 months

Scholarships with application and selection by the HFT Stuttgart

The Baden-Württemberg-STIPENDIUM for students supports the international exchange of highly qualified German and international students. With the Baden-Württemberg-STIPENDIUM for students, the Baden-Württemberg Foundation enables around 1,200 young people from all over the world to study in another country every year. The exchange is based on reciprocity: the scholarships are generally awarded in equal parts to applicants from Baden-Württemberg universities and their partner universities abroad. Please note that only stays at partner universities for which no tuition fees are due can be funded.

Students at HFT Stuttgart (Germans, EU citizens and so-called "Bildungsinländer") with a grade point average of at least 2.5 can apply for a scholarship from the Knödler-Decker Foundation for a stay outside the EU. Funding is available for final theses, studies and internships abroad. Depending on the number of applicants and the project, the amount of the scholarship ranges from a one-off €500 to a maximum of €1,000.

As part of the DAAD mobility program PROMOS, the International Office awards scholarships for stays abroad. Funding is available for final theses, internships abroad and study visits to non-European countries as well as language courses lasting at least four weeks.

Selection criteria are

  • academic achievements
  • motivation
  • commitment
  • usefulness of the stay for the respective studies
  • existing language skills


Students of HFT Stuttgart who are German nationals as well as people who share the same standing as German nationals according to § 8 paragraph 1.2 ff, paragraph 2, 2a and 3 are eligible to apply. Students who do not have German citizenship should submit a copy of their residence permit or certificate of freedom of movement. Furthermore, please note the detailed information provided by the DAAD. A PROMOS scholarship does not include any insurance cover! It is possible to be included in the DAAD group insurance. If you are applying for the Auslandsbafög, PROMOS funding must be declared. If necessary, the PROMOS funding will be offset against the benefits of the Auslandsbafög.

Scholarship application


  • Submit only one application for these three scholarships.
  • Double funding from Erasmus+ and HAW.International is not permitted.
  • Digital file by email or
  • in paper form (printed on both sides) without folder
  • Complete and on time


  • Letter of motivation
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Academic transcript (with average grade)
  • Expert opinion
  • Admission from the host university or confirmation of the internship position (can be submitted later!)

Application deadline for a scholarship


for the upcoming winter semester


for the upcoming summer semester

Other scholarships (external application and selection)

Students who do not receive BaföG in Germany may also be eligible for funding abroad. Depending on the destination country, the application must be submitted to the BaföG office responsible for that country. This should be done six months before the stay abroad, as the processing time is often long. At the HfT Stuttgart, BaföG applications are sent to pruefungsamt1(at) and processed. BaföG foreign grants are paid in full as a subsidy and do not have to be paid back later.

Information on the Auslands-BaföG can be obtained from the Studentenwerk or the DAAD/ Auslands-BAföG.

Students in Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes at German Universities of Applied Sciences receive HAW.International scholarships for stays abroad (internships, studies and theses) as part of their studies. The scholarships are awarded by the DAAD on the basis of academic qualifications and personal suitability. Please note that DAAD will only process complete applications that are submitted on time! Application documents and all information can be found on the DAAD website.

IAESTE arranges specialist internships abroad for students of all technical and scientific disciplines. Most IAESTE internships last around 2-3 months and often take place in the summer. The internships are generally paid; the salary is based on the typical cost of living in the country at student level. The IAESTE committee abroad takes care of finding accommodation and is always available as a point of contact. IAESTE Germany takes care of all the necessary formalities. The placement is free of charge!

The Fulbright Commission awards full and partial scholarships to continue, extend or supplement studies at an American university and to experience the USA as a host country. Full scholarships cover all costs associated with the stay in the USA (tuition fees, maintenance, travel expenses). Partial scholarships cover the tuition fees and part of the living costs incurred in the USA. Interested parties can apply for a one-year scholarship (preferably for graduates) or for a combination of a study semester and an internship semester (preferably students who have completed more than one semester) and for summer schools in the USA. Applications must be submitted by the end of May each year at the latest. Students submit their applications to the International Office of the HfT, graduates send their applications directly to the Fulbright Commission.

for Israeli and German students, interns and young academics

The Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts (MWK) has been providing scholarship funds to foster German-Israeli relations since 1988. Students and interns of German and Israeli nationality who are planning a stay in Israel as part of university partnerships are eligible to apply. Enrolment at HFT Stuttgart is a prerequisite for application. Applications must be submitted via the International OfficeThe application deadline is November 1st of each year.

Internships in Israeli high-tech start-ups

Students in Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes receive scholarships for internships in Israeli start-ups with the DAAD's "New Kibbutz" program. All information about applying for "New Kibbutz" can be found in this explanatory video and on the DAAD website. The procedure is two-pronged: The German-Israeli Chamber of Commerce Abroad in Tel Aviv arranges the internships locally, applications are made online here . The DAAD accepts applications for the scholarship. Please note that scholarship applications must be submitted in full via the DAAD portal at least 32 days before the start of the internship!

  • One-year scholarships (worldwide except Austria and USA)
  • Postgraduate studies
  • RISE research internships worldwide
  • Go-East summer schools and internships
  • Travel grants for internships abroad organized by IAESTE or AIESEC.
Any Questions? Contact us, we are happy to help you!
+49 711 8926 2694