The university was founded as a winter school for building craftsmen on the lower Königstrasse opposite the King's stables at the time. The historic Egle Building (today's Building 1) was built by Joseph von Egle between 1867 and 1873 at the Stadtgarten. In 1918, as the Königlich Württembergische Baugewerkeschule, it was the largest of the then 67 building schools in Germany with 923 students. The university grew continuously and developed from the original engineering school to the Stuttgart University of Applied Sciences in 1971. In 2005, the Hochschule für Technik Stuttgart (HFT) switched to the Bachelor-Master system as part of the Bologna Process. For 188 years, the university has been training sought-after junior staff in what are now 33 bachelor's and master's degree courses.
|1832||Founding of the Winter School for Building Craftsmen |
The school was intended to enable building craftsmen to carry out their practical work in the summer and to receive further training in the winter while building activities were suspended. Until 1840 the Winter School was combined with the Sunday School of Trade and was housed in the Kavaliersbau on the lower Königstrasse opposite the Marstall.
|1845||Renaming to Winterbaugewerkeschule |
The institution was run independently with a student body of 107, at that time still called participants. It moved to a wing of the "Legions-Caserne" on Marienstraße. In 1858 the number of students rose to 251 and in 1862 already to over 500. Joseph von Egle (1818 - 1899) became director in 1848. As an architect and court architect he received high honours and numerous awards, and was also raised to the rank of a personal nobleman.
|1865||Decree for the Royal School of Civil Engineering |
Due to the increasing number of students and in order to make better use of the teaching staff, teaching was carried out for the first time in the summer and winter semesters "in five courses of five semesters each". At the same time, a school for geometers was established. The school was given the right to propose the appointment of main teachers as professors, appointed by the King.
|1869||Renaming to the Königliche Württembergische Baugewerkeschule |
A further technical school for mechanical engineers was added, which was moved to Esslingen in 1912 as an independent mechanical engineering school, the core of the university there.
|1873||Completion of the historic Egle Building |
The historic Egle Building (today Building 1) was built between 1867 and 1873 at the Stadtgarten by Joseph von Egle. Shortly after the completion of the construction work it turned out that the new building was already too small again.
After the number of pupils had increased to 800, the school building was extended under the direction of Karl Walter (1834 - 1906), Egle's successor, by adding side wings in the neo-renaissance style of the old building. Thus the formal unity was preserved.
|1906||Reforms in the curriculum |
Under Professor Paul Schmohl (1870 - 1946), who was a well-known architect and who headed the school until 1935, the curriculum was reorganised from 1906 onwards. In order to take up studies, students had to prove a previous practice and to pass the state examination, a two-year intermediate practice.
|1918||Largest building school in Germany |
With 923 students, the Königlich Württembergische Baugewerkeschule was the largest of the then 67 building schools in Germany.
|1924||Renaming to Staatliche Höhere Bauschule Stuttgart |
Run as Württembergische Baugewerkeschule since 1918, the name changed again in 1924. One year later, due to the increased demands on general education, the secondary school leaving certificate was introduced as an entrance requirement.
|1938||Renaming to Staatsbauschule Stuttgart |
Due to the uniform Gleichschaltung the higher building school was renamed the Staatsbauschule Stuttgart. Its reputation as a good training centre for civil engineers extended far beyond the borders of the state.
|1944||Destruction of the school building |
During the Second World War and in the post-war years, teaching continued in makeshift accommodation in several buildings in the city.
|1947||Reconstruction of the school |
Professor Rudolf Lempp (1887 - 1981) began his term of office as headmaster and rebuilt the severely destroyed Staatsbauschule. He gave it back its reputation as a leading training school for civil engineers.
|1951||Founding of the association "Freunde der Staatsbauschule e.V." |
The association took over the task to support the school financially and ideally and help with potential homes for the students. Today the association is called "Freunde der Hochschule für Technik Stuttgart e.V.".
|1953||Change of Director |
Professor Karl Gonser (1902 - 1979) was appointed Director of the State Building School. He advocated a thorough reform of the curriculum, in which the previously joint education for architects and civil engineers was split into two separate courses of study.
With 99 beds for students, the association "Freunde der Hochschule für Technik Stuttgart e.V." was able to hand over the Joseph-von-Egle-Heim as a residence close to the university.
The school was renamed to Staatliche Ingenieurschule für Bauwesen - Staatsbauschule Stuttgart.
|1965||Introduction of the new examination regulations |
The course of study was divided up with the introduction of the new examination regulations. The State Building School was now divided into the departments of structural engineering, civil engineering, surveying and basic subjects.
|1967||Change of director |
Professor Ludwig Hilmar Kresse (1914 - 1985) took over the management of the building construction department in 1963. In 1967 he was elected director. Under his leadership, the Staatsbauschule was transformed into a university of applied sciences. He was the first rector and was responsible for the further expansion of the University of Applied Sciences during this time.
|1968||Student unrest |
The following years were marked by student unrest, strikes and demonstrations. As a result of the numerous discussions, it became clear that the decision-making bodies would include a representation of the students and assistants as voting members.
|1971||Renamed the Stuttgart University of Applied Sciences |
In the course of the development towards ever higher demands on engineering education, the State Building School became the Stuttgart University of Applied Sciences (FHT). Since then, it has been part of the tertiary education sector and, as a public corporation, has the same status as the universities.
The university is growing The faculties of architecture, civil engineering, mathematics, surveying and foundations were established at the FHT. Admission requirements were the Abitur or the Fachhochschulreife. The course of study lasted eight semesters including two practical semesters. The Egle Building, designed in 1870 for 450 students, has since had to accommodate 1,200 students. As this led to unbearable conditions, rooms were rented in neighbouring buildings.
|1973||Further buildings were added |
At the beginning of the winter semester 1973/74 it was possible to move into the building at the back of the inner courtyard, which had been approved by the university, and to set up lecture halls and laboratories there. In 1974 the building of the Landessparkasse (today Building 2) was partially taken over.
|1975||New study and examination regulations |
A new study and examination regulation was introduced for the summer semester 1975. In addition, a numerus clausus was established due to the high number of applicants.
|1976||Installation of the computer centre and the library |
The installation of the computer centre in Building 2 was a great relief for the professors, the students and for the administration. The entire certificate documentation and the preparation of the matriculation lists could be converted to EDP.
|1977||Rector change, FHT report and "Stallfest" |
Professor Rolf Schmalor (1921 - 2005) was Rector of the FHT from 1977 to 1985. He energetically promoted the expansion of the university in terms of both quantity and quality. For his services to the FHT he was awarded the Federal Cross of Merit. After a long break, a student festival was held again, the so-called "Stallfest", and the FHT report was created, which informed the professors, lecturers, staff and students about the past year.
|1978||New courses of study |
The new courses of study in interior design and building physics were set up as half trains. The number of students had grown to 1,700.
|1979||Establishment of a technical advisory service |
The technical advisory service was assigned to the Steinbeis Foundation for Economic Development of the State of Baden-Württemberg with the aim of promoting technology transfer from the university to medium-sized companies in the State of Baden-Württemberg. Furthermore, the International Training Center for Photogrammetry Operators (IPO) was established. The aim of the IPO was the further education of operators, especially from the Third World.
|1982||Expansion of the premises |
Despite sporadic allocations of space, FHT's need for space had steadily increased. In 1982, FHT had 10,000 m² of floor space at its disposal, which, according to a guideline, would be sufficient for about 840 students. Thus, the university had only about 50 percent of the necessary floor space. The two upper floors of the university's K2 building were allocated to the FHT, and the conversion work was carried out in Building 2. On the ground floor, rooms were created for the library and the information centre, and in the basement, urgently needed workshop and laboratory rooms.
|1985||Change of Principal |
Professor Dr. Klaus-Jürgen Zabel (*1928) took over the Rector's office. He was particularly involved in the expansion of the premises and immortalised himself in the ranks of the self-building rectors by building Bau 3 and the glass walkway together with a group of architects. At the same time the renovation and partial reconstruction of Building 1 and Building 2 began, and new lecture halls were created in the area of the courtyard basement.
|1988||Foundation of the Joseph von Egle Institute |
The Joseph von Egle Institute for Innovation and Transfer in Building Technology, today's IAF, was founded. Its purpose was to conduct applied research in all fields related to construction.
|1998||New postgraduate course as a joint project |
In the winter semester of 1989/90, it was possible to study in the newly established postgraduate course in environmental protection for the first time. The postgraduate course is a joint project of the Universities of Applied Sciences in Nürtingen, Reutlingen, Esslingen and Stuttgart.
|1990||Number of students increases |
In the winter semester 1990/91 the number of students rose above the 2,000 mark.
|1992||Faculty of Architecture in Building 3 |
After partial demolition and conversion of Building 3, occupancy of the building could begin in January. The ground floor accommodated the laboratories of the Department of Civil Engineering and the Public Building Materials Testing Office.
|1993||Change of Principal, new newspaper |
Professor Dr. Martin Stohrer (1943 - 2008) took over the office of Rector. He was appointed to the FHT as early as 1978 to set up the building physics course. The university received a new logo and the university newspaper "Stallgeflüster" was launched. It is published every six months.
|1994||Further redevelopment measures |
In Building 2, the redevelopment work was completed and the study courses of mathematics, surveying and interior design now had rooms suitable for work.
|1995||Renaming, new buildings |
Due to the new law on universities of applied sciences, the name Fachhochschule für Technik Stuttgart was changed to Fachhochschule Stuttgart - University of Applied Sciences (HFT). The HFT was awarded the building Kienestraße 45. In the so-called Building 4, the faculties of civil engineering as well as basic and building physics were accommodated. The first pavilion in the courtyard, called Block 4, was designed and built by students as part of a cross-degree study project. The wooden construction was financed with donations and is available as a student meeting place.
|1996||Renaming of a faculty |
The Faculty of Surveying was renamed to "Vermessung und Geoinformatik".
|1997||Design of the inner courtyard |
The inner courtyard between Building 1 and Building 3 was completed. Since then, four trees bring greenery into the inner courtyard.
|1998||Artistic aptitude test |
An artistic aptitude test was introduced in the interior design course. A multifunctional student card was issued.
|1999||First Master's programme |
The English-language Master's programme Photogrammetry and Geoinformatics marked the beginning of the University of Applied Sciences Bachelor's/Master's era.
|2001||Restructuring of the faculties |
The five faculties that had previously existed became the three faculties of Architecture and Design, Civil Engineering, Building Physics and Economics, and Surveying, Computer Science and Mathematics. At the same time, the Master's programmes International Project Management and Urban Planning began.
|2002||zafh.net and first bachelor's degree programme |
The Centre for Sustainable Energy Technology (zafh. net), a centre for building energy research, was established as one of three centres of excellence at the universities of applied sciences in Baden-Württemberg. In the winter semester, the first bachelor's degree course in computer science began at the HFT Stuttgart, at the same time as the master's degree courses Software Technology and SENCE.
Opening of the Centre for Building Physics After a construction period of only 15 months, the Centre for Building Physics could be moved into in July 2002. 1.8 million Euros were invested in order to realise building acoustic testing and research facilities on over 1,000 m², which are among the most modern in Europe. In addition to the focal points of building acoustics and room sound, there are laboratories for solar and geothermal energy.
|2003||Additional rooms, Department of Economics |
In the Breitscheidstraße building of the University of Stuttgart, two floors and the basement could be taken over for workshops of the Interior Design course. The new Economics Department offered the Bachelor of Business Administration course for the first time in the winter semester.
|2005||Introduction of faculties, changeover to Bachelor-Master programmes |
The three departments were renamed faculties in the winter semester. At the same time, as part of the Bologna process, the entire study programme was converted to Bachelor-Master courses. The diploma courses of studies expired.
|2006||New Bachelor's programmes |
For the first time, the university offered the Bachelor's programmes Information Logistics and Infrastructure Management. Block 4 was created in the inner courtyard, again designed and built by students.
|2007||Jubilee of the HFT Stuttgart, change of principal |
The 175th anniversary of the HFT Stuttgart was celebrated with numerous festivities. More than 300 invited guests from politics, business and culture attended the central ceremony, including numerous rectors of international partner universities. After 14 years, Prof. Dr. Martin Stohrer handed over the rector's office to Prof. Rainer Franke (*1954), who was appointed Professor of Building History and Building Construction at the university in 1998 and Dean of the Faculty of Architecture and Design since 2004. In the summer semester, the Master's programme in Surveying was offered for the first time, and in the winter semester the expansion of the university began with the Bachelor's programme in Business Informatics in 2012. At the same time, the Institute for Applied Research (IAF) was able to move into new rooms in Building 7 on Schlossstraße.
|2008||New Master Programs |
In the Department of Economics, the Master Program General Management was introduced, in the Department of Mathematics the Master Program Mathematics was introduced.
|2009||Competition for an extension, foundation of the Didactics Centre |
The Didactics Centre was founded from tuition fees, initially with the task of improving the transition from school to university. The services were then extended to all semesters and to lecturers. The interior design department put new rooms in Building 6 into operation. After a long period of preparatory work, an internationally open competition for the extension of the HFT Stuttgart was announced and the first prize winner was finally commissioned to carry out the project. The building site is the parking lot in the direction of the Liederhalle, so that the university will have a new address here. Approximately 3,900 m² of main usable space are planned for the Faculty of Architecture and Design, whose workshops will be relocated here.
|2010||New image, solar decathlon, 3,000 students |
Communication designers developed a new image from the specifications of a university-wide working group in order to clearly express the university's diverse profile. The HFT Stuttgart received a new logo, its own corporate typeface and an exclusive colour system. In the international competition "Solar Decathlon", 20 universities from all over the world competed in Madrid to design and build a residential building powered by solar energy. With the plus energy house "home+", the HFT Stuttgart team achieved third place overall. In the winter semester 2010/11, the number of students exceeded the 3,000 mark for the first time. At the same time, the universities of applied sciences in Baden-Württemberg became universities of applied sciences (HAW). The change of name took into account the increased tasks of the type of university. However, the individual name Hochschule für Technik did not change.
|2011||Expansion of the University of Applied Sciences 2012, Studienstiftung |
With the new bachelor's degree programmes in Climate Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Management (Construction and Real Estate) and Business Psychology, 325 new first-year student places were created each year in the 2012 expansion programme. In total, the university now offers 14 Bachelor's and 13 Master's programmes. The university's own Studienstiftung is awarding the first scholarships, and all German scholarships have also been acquired.
|2012||Start of construction of new building, additional space |
The exhibition house home+ returned to Stuttgart and became a research pavilion. In autumn, excavation work for the extension building south of Breitscheidstraße began. Five minutes' walk from the main campus, an additional location was rented in Lautenschlagerstraße and occupied by the Economics Department. At the same time, the university had more than 3,700 students for the first time.
|2013||Founding of the Centre for Sustainable Development (ZNE) |
The ZNE bundles the university's many existing sustainability activities.
|2014||New Master's programme |
In the field of civil engineering, the Master's programme in transport infrastructure management was introduced. In addition, the university has grown to 4,000 students.
|2015||New alumni portal |
The alumni work was restructured. The Alumni Office, located in the Press and Marketing Department, has set up a new alumni portal.
|2017||Innovative University |
The innovation laboratory "M4_LAB" for the Stuttgart Metropolitan Region of the HFT Stuttgart has been able to assert itself nationwide and is supported for five years by the federal and state initiative "Innovative Hochschule".
|2018||New international master's programme |
The international, English-language master's programme "Smart City Solutions" was launched in the Faculty of Architecture and Design.
|2020||Change of Principal and Chancellor |
Prof. Rainer Franke retired after 13 years as Principal of the HFT Stuttgart. His successor Prof. Dr. Katja Rade took over the office in the winter semester. Since July 2020 Dr. Doreen Kirmse has been Chancellor of the HFT Stuttgart.
1848-1893 school board member Joseph von Egle (1818-1899), architect
1947-1953 Director Professor Rudolf Lempp (1887-1981), architect
1953-1967 Director Professor Karl Gonser (1902-1979), architect
1967-1977 Rector Professor Ludwig Hilmar Kresse (1914-1985), architect
1977-1985 Rector Professor Rolf Schmalor (1921-2005), architect
1985-1993 Rector Professor Dr. Klaus-Jürgen Zabel (*1928), architect
1993-2007 Rector Professor Dr. Martin Stohrer (1943-2008), building physicist
2007-2020 Rector Professor Rainer Franke (*1954), architect
Since 2020 Rector Professor Dr. Katja Rade (*1965), business economist